Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Spencer (and Gastwick)

I am writing to you from America, the state of Kentucky. I am researching my Spencer family who go back to Nicholas Spencer of Cople who married Mary Gastwick. These descendents came to Virginia and South Carolina in the 1600's, and some were also in the British Colony of Barbados.

Jo Spencer

Can anyone help Jo about any Spencer or Gastwick connections in the Cople area?

==========

30 September 2009 - response from Herbert Spencer

My wife has also traced my family back to Nicholas, and she has gone further. I have not met any of my Spencer relatives. My father was born in Hazard, KY, USA.

(Herbert's contact details have been sent to Jo.)

3 comments:

David P. Smith said...

Jo, I live in Texas and also trace my family back to Nicholas Spencer of Cople, Bedfordshire. My great-grandmother was Mary Spencer (d. 1941 in Nacogdoches, Tx), daughter of Thomas Calvin Spencer. My direct line through Mary came to Virginia, then Tennessee and then to Texas.

Have you found out any more about the Spencers of Cople? I can go no farther back than John Spencer of Edworth, Bedfordshire (b. 1477).

David P. Smith
Nacogdoches, TX

Jo Spencer said...

Please contact me if you are descended from the Spencers of Cople who migrated to VA, NC, SC, KY, and TN. I have received 2 messages via this post but unable to reply as I do not have the contact information. I am writing a film script based on the Spencer saga. I descend from Nicholas Spencer through his descendent Joseph Spencer who settled Lee Co. VA in the late 1700's; I descend from three of his sons; William, Moses, and John. I have questions re: the generations between Nicholas of Cople and Joseph. jospencer77@gmail.com

Ian said...

Comment from Peter Spencer, Feb 2020

I have just finished a (very) lengthy investigation into the beginnings of our Spencer Clan who actually commenced on the 25th October 1415! I can send you a copy.

I have a written history of the family from prior to 1415 in Ireland (as and Commander of the Cenel Connell) up through the Spencers of Southwark and then to Australia, and a cousin branch in Cople from the late 1400s through to at the latest in the 1700s.

We have a strong Army and Navy heritage including an Royal Navy Admiral who became Governor of Albany in Western Australia, and my Grandfather who won The Military Medal in the Australian Army at Gallipoli in 1915.

Peter Spencer peterspencer511@gmail.com Feb 2020